Access Services Student Assistant
Health Sciences Library
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Access Services Student Assistant
- Are you a University of Colorado Anschutz or Downtown Denver student looking for fun and rewarding part-time work?
- Do you have work-study money?
If you answered yes to both of those questions, then come on down to the Health Sciences Library!
Description: The Access Services student assistant supports library patrons in using resources including the online catalog and article databases, the library’s website, course reserves, photocopiers and printers. This position helps staff the library’s service desk treating on-site questions and phone calls and explains and refers customers to key services. The student assistant is an employee of the University of Colorado and represents the library to students, faculty, staff and visitors. The student assistant can work between 10 and 20 hours per week and will be trained extensively in their duties. Specific hours are decided by mutual agreement between the supervisor and the student when hired and based on operational priorities of the department and library. Closing shifts are a requirement of the job and are shared with all other student employees along with some weekend hours Saturday/Sunday.
The student assistant must provide excellent service to all library patrons in a pleasant and positive manner. This position reports to the day or evening staff student supervisors and will also be directed by the Circulation Manager and other library staff on duty during shifts.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to the following:
CIRCULATION, CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE, CLOSING, etc.
- Answers questions in-person and by phone courteously and transfer calls when necessary
- Directs patrons to the proper department, librarians and expert staff
- Checks in/out books and other circulating materials including reserves
- Possesses a working knowledge of basic library tools & resources (catalog, reference collection, online databases, electronic & print serials, course reserves, special collections, library’s website, etc.)
- Closing of library in the evenings, paired with one or more other student assistants responsible for service desk evenings & weekends after staff leave
- Assists with opening of the library especially on weekends
- Assists with pulling material requested for holds, campus delivery and other needs
- Supports retrieval & photocopying of materials for interlibrary loan and Prospector services
- Operates cash register for sales transactions
- Knows and follows established notification procedures for emergencies
- Knows layout and locations of all offices and collections in the library
- Reports any physical building problems to appropriate supervisor
- Troubleshoots copiers, laser printers and computer workstations to help patrons with questions and minor problems with hardware & software
- Reports computer, printer and copier malfunctions
- Shelves materials and shelf reading
- Face & tidy shelves and assist with move of materials as directed
Qualifications: The ideal Access Services Student Assistant possess all of the following:
- Professional and courteous manner with customers, library staff and other student assistants
- Availability to work night and weekend hours and covering closing shifts
- Ability to adhere to a work schedule
- Dependability and the ability to be a self-motivated, independent and quick learner
- Attention to detail
- Interest in and willingness to improve information discovery and library collections finding search skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Cash register and basic money handling
WAGES: This position starts at $9.00/hour and work study is preferred but hourly positions may be available.
Students advance through the levels by demonstrating their mastery of the duties they perform, as enumerated on the skill list for their position and their attitude as evaluated by their supervisors. Formal evaluations occur annually.
*Apply and inquire*. All student employees participate and share in closing shifts and some weekend hours.